Sunday, July 19, 2015

One Hill of a Challenge

Several years ago (actually 6 years to be exact), a good friend; Ken TZ Childress; & I decided that we would celebrate our July birthdays by doing something crazy related to the number of years of our birth.

We started when we were 50 years old & ran 50 miles, at 52, we did 52 repeats of the Pedestrian Bridge across the Arkansas River. (NOTE: It was great with a nice breeze until the sun got down to where it was beaming down on us below the  bridge covering). Why do I recall that someone stole our pretzels from our make-shift aid station after 6 years?

I believe that at 53, I ran 53 stadium stair repeats. At 54 & 55, I honestly cannot recall. At 56 however, I suggested that we do 56 hill repeats of a nice “hill” along the Creek Turnpike Trail (south of 91st & Hwy 169 just around the curve past the Fairmont Inn). 

The first problem was that I had not run up it beforehand to actually see just how tough it is.

None the less, we got the tent set up & began the climb.

And climb we did. The first assent told me already that this was NOT a good idea.

Oh well!

By the time Ken got there, I already had in 2-3 loops, but TZ did not waist time to start in.

I will say though, that the view from the top was very nice.

“Hello down there! Can anybody hear me?”

TZ & I were not alone as Cameron & Brandon Plate  were zipping up & down the hills like they were nothing. (Oh, to be young again . . . )













Michelle Bates got in her loops as did Jason Bement. My son Michael also came out to get in some repeats to add to his Crossfit training (Note: He did mention at home that his calves were smoked.) He was also nice enough to take a really killer video.

There was another group of guys there doing their hill repeats as their training for an upcoming hiking trip to Colorado.

All in all, it was ONE HILL OF A CHALLENGE.

And as we say at Know No Boundaries - “There’s no mountain top view without a climb.”

As for birthday number 57 next year, let’s see what TZ & I come up with.

No comments:

Badwater 267 VR

Know No Boundaries will be running Badwater 267 VR during the month of January. BADWATER: It’s a frame of mind, a global family of horizon-c...